AISM: The Month of March – In like a Lion, and out like a Lion!
April 2nd, 2019
Today, as we are now in our second day of the Month of April, we can all feel that indeed our school year is moving very fast! We are just one week away from a well-deserved Spring Break, and eleven weeks from concluding the school year!
During the past few weeks, I have received many great questions from our parent community. I would first like to extend my appreciation to our proactive parents for using ‘quality communication’, by addressing these concerns directly to me. Some of the issues I have discussed with parents, on both an informal and formal basis, are:
- The 2019 – 2020 Academic Calendar Completion Date – The Board and I did discover that finishing the 2019-2020 School Year as per our original planning would be problematic for teacher professional development. Therefore, the 2019 – 2020 School Year will conclude on June 19th, 2020. Please see the 2019 – 2020 School Calendar at: https://www.aismonrovia.com/calendar/
- The 2019 -2020 Economic Fee Structure for AISM – The Board, as per our bylaws, is required to publish the Economic Fee structure in the month of April, in advance of the upcoming school year. The Board worked diligently, with complex economic indicators, to both get this done on the first day of April, to give our community the maximum time to plan, and also to ensure that any increase would be lower than U.S. Dollar inflation. This can be found at: https://www.aismonrovia.com/our-school/
- Teachers who will be leaving, or entering, our school community next year – As is the goal every year, information on teachers entering our community will be provided in May, with departing teachers sending a personal note to the community in early June.
- The date for the Board Annual General Meeting – The Board of Trustees has called for the second general meeting of the association to take place on Wednesday, April 24th, at 3:30/15:30, in the school SPR.
- How best to assist our students in making good choices, while improving academic performance at AISM. Well …. You are already doing it! Research shows that students in homes where parents talked positively about school, and showed interest in what their students were learning, had a 42% gain over students in homes where positive parent feedback did not occur. As we saw this Saturday, and from the pictures below, YOU, as parents, are already providing great support to both our school community and your child’s success here at the American International School of Monrovia. A “new” teacher here at AISM wrote in their newsletter, “The greatly anticipated carnival arrived and in my opinion was a great success. I can say without exaggerating that it was the best prepared and best operated carnival of any school I have worked in. It took tremendous amounts of preparation and just plain hard work to make everything come together in time for it to begin. Opening it to the community was a great idea.”
Again, on behalf of the greater Monrovia community, I would like to send out a formal “thank you” to our entire PTA for another successful Spring Carnival. It is clear that it is good to be back on the “small field.” Our PTA and great school community showed us this weekend, once more, how to “work together for excellence.”
Pictures below! Welcome to April at AISM!
Welcome Back. Ms. Cheryl Flah-Kiahon (Personal Leave)