Dear AISM Community,
Given the situation currently unfolding in Liberia due to the Ebola virus outbreak, the Board of Trustees has determined that it will not be feasible to begin our school year as planned on September 2nd. The Board of Trustees wanted to communicate this information as soon as possible so our community members could investigate other educational opportunities for students.
The Board of Trustees will continue to evaluate all the information that it is receiving from a wide variety of sources to determine an appropriate time to begin the AISM School Year.
The Board will make a second determination the week of September 29th to evaluate if the school is in a position to safely begin our school year around the week of October 13th. Again, the goal is inform you, with as much advanced notice as possible, in order to assist you in making the best educational decisions for your family and your students.
To support the school in our reopening plans, we ask that you please advise Ms. Viola Johnson at email@example.com if you are planning to enroll for the first semester (or entire school year) at another educational institution outside of Liberia.
Please also note that for those of you presently in Monrovia the Director will hold an open school meeting this Friday, August 15th, 2:00pm in the Single Purpose Room to discuss ways to minimize the impact of the school's delayed opening on your student's overall education. Notes from this meeting will be provided to the Board of Trustees to inform our second determination in late September about the reopening date for the school.
The Board thanks you for your support during this difficult time in the school's history.
WELCOME TO THE YEAR OF THE HORSE
The past six years have witnessed a transformation at AISM each year during it’s rebirth on the historic school site of the American Cooperative School.
Over the last six years our school has changed dramatically and expanded to better meet the needs of our diplomatic, local and multi-national parents who are all seeking a quality International School education that meets international education standards right here in Monrovia.
Last year, during the Year of the Butterfly, AISM began the process re-affirming it’s identity as one of the top International Schools in all of West Africa. Last year AISM emerged from its cocoon stronger, wiser, and more fully committed to our vision and better prepared than ever for the challenges ahead. This year, during the Year of the Horse, we are all going to “pull together” on the path that has been set for this school which will firmly place us on the road of excellence.
During the Year of the Horse you will see:
- The introduction of Grade 9 and the start of our High School program.
- A new Science lab constructed and equipped by our corporate sponsors here in Liberia.
- 8 additional staff members ranging from Kinder I to Multimedia specialist, all occupying positions that are “new” to our school. This increase in staffing is geared to ensure that all students maintain and receive a highly individualized education.
- A school wide focus on reading!!
- The continued use and implementation of a multi-age, mastery-based flexible grouping system which will allow us to transition many non-native English speakers into our program, while also allowing us to challenge our highest performing students.
- A broader selection of extracurricular activities (over 30 options for the first quarter) to meet the needs of our growing student body. Our ASAP (After School Activities Program) will begin on Monday, September 9th
- Renewed commitment to making the education we offer creative and participatory for all students!
Looking forward to seeing everybody on September 3rd as we begin the Year of the Horse!!